Sunday, November 4, 2007

Still tubed

So, I started this blog...well, it doesn't take a genius to see how long ago. And things got unbelievably busy after that. Sad excuse I know. But, now that I am hanging out in a hospital room these days I thought of giving it another go. Why not?! It helps me journal AND I can update my WHOLE family without sending 20 text messages to say one paragraph. This is all thanks to my dad and my brother Mike for sending me a laptop. They offer free wireless here at the hospital but you have to have your own computer :)

So I'll get to the point of why I started this again! Mark is doing ok, yes, just ok. I would say great but that would indicate he's getting out tomorrow...and he's still trying to convince doctors of it anyway. Unfortunatly Mark had a tube put back down his throat, into his stomach, because he started throwing up the other day. It seems his bowels are still not working. He also has a fever that is somewhat hanging on as well even though he's been on antibiotics. To some of you this seems like old news but it's happening again. Of course Mark is bugged but he is trying to sleep his way through it. This is supposed to keep him from throwing up but he threw up around the tube anyway, that was scary. He also got a unit of blood today as well. The docs said he isn't loosing any, his bone marrow is just suppressed from the surgery so it isn't producing all the way yet. He is also on an IV suppliment called TPN. This is given when you are becoming malnutritioned and/or haven't eaten for a long period (or can't eat at all). He has lost a lot of weight so this is hopefully going to help him keep up some of his nutrition and muscle mass.
Today I set out in the VERY cold 45 degree's (can you tell I'm a wimpy Californian?)to 3 pharmacies hoping to find the exact throat lozenges that would help Mark's throat. That was my big outting for the day. But other than that, it amazes me how I keep busy with just him all day. Sierra and Josh are back in California with my mom. They are starting school tomorrow. They are excited to see all of their friends! Well, that's it for now. Sorry it's so long! Hopefully it'll be shorter :) That's it for now! Till next time...

1 comment:

Leslie said...

You're in Pittsburgh, PA? Holy Cow!! You guys have had a long hard ride with this! I'm so glad you're blogging again so I can keep up with what's going on in your world. We will keep you in our prayers. I will read the entries after this one, I was just so shocked to see the label: Pittsburgh, PA.