Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Small steps, better outcomes

When someone says take small steps or be patient I know it is a virtue I have definatly not aquired! :) But through this experience I realized if I don't know the ending or future, I don't experience impatience. And maybe it's more because we've come this far that I'm wanting things to go correctly, that every precaution is taken so that the best ultimate outcome happens. But for Mark, this is not so! :) He wants the best, but boy is he impatient! And I can't blame him one bit, heck, it's not me sitting tethered to a bed because a large tube is in my nose...

I didn't write yesterday because it was a rough day. It wasn't that we got an bad news or bad test results, it was acually a good day for those things. But emotionally I think things started to set in. Yesterday marks two weeks since the surgery, and technically the recovery was supposed to be 7-10 days. And today it's been a month since we've seen the kids, and it's wearing on them as well. So we talked with the kids a lot last night and then Mark and I sat in a gazebo with the snow falling quietly on the glass ceiling, it was really calming. I know, how cheesy. But when you sit in a hospital bed, breathing hospital air, smelling hospital smells, etc. it's nice to step out and have a change of scenery.

Ok, enough of the mumbo jumbo. So they did another scan of his leg today to make sure the clot isn't moving or getting bigger. When Mark tried to ask the tech about the clot, all he offered up was "it's an unusual clot, not your normal leg clot."....and this is different from our previous encounters because? Marks body is anything but normal :) Mark is admitting a little bit that he is getting used to the tube in his nose...but he still tried to bed the doc to take it out! The doctor said it has to stay in at least a few more days. If we take small steps, the outcome will be better. So, we stopped asking when he thinks we will get out of the hospital. He also had another test done (2nd time) where Mark drank barium and they followed it to see how far it got going through his bowels. It went all the way through this time but it did show that the swelling hasn't completly gone away, so it's a day by day thing, but it's progress! And Mark's spirits are up today which is good. He's getting ancy to get out! That's a good thing, it means he's recovering! :) Well, that's about it. Till next time!!!

3 comments:

Stacy and Mike said...

Yay Jen!!! So glad you started your blog back up!! I guess I am a dork for having one too, but it is a great way to keep everyone up to date. Anyway, love, prayers, and best wishes to you and Mark, Love you both!!

Jen said...

Hey, as long as there are other family members doing it, I'm not a dork then, right? :) As I said to dad one night, I'm killing 3 birds with one stone; journaling, updating others, and developing a talent (haha, if you call this one!) Anyhoo, now we are keeping up with eachother! Hey another bird! Haha, talk soon...

Anonymous said...

Glad to read your blog and see that Mark is doing better! I can't believe he empties his own tube...okay so I can because I am also married to a Bingham. Its like having a large toddler... getting into drawers & cabinets, opening things that were packaged (I'm assuming to maintain sterility) and saying "What do you think this is for?" Of course, to which I always reply, "Not you." I remember saying between contractions with Reese, "Would you put that back?! The nurse is going to walk in here and kick you out!" and "No, I don't want you to see how it works on me!" I'm sure you're totally used to that by now with all your hospital experience! Anyway, we're happy to know things are improving! Any idea when you guys will be back in Brentwood?